We’ve got a few bird feeders hanging in our backyard. We have a couple on hooks near our deck, and we have an acrylic one outside our kitchen window. We enjoy watching the robins and cardinals and blue jays flying to and fro.
We love when the robins build nests in our trees. It’s always exciting to watch the entire life cycle from egg to hatchlings to leaving the nest. Typically, the robins build in my neighbor’s tree, but this year they built one in our tree, too! Emma was so excited!
Several years ago, Emma and I did a unit study all about birds. If you, too, would like to do a fun bird-themed unit study, you’ll love these resources and the HUGE printable pack I’ve created.
First, I would suggest gathering a large selection of bird-themed books. Here are a few suggestions:
- National Geographic Kid Bird Guide of North America
- Birds, Nests and Eggs
- Backyard Birds (Field Guides for Young Naturalists)
- Beginner Birdwatcher’s Book (with 48 Stickers)
- About Birds: A Guide for Children
- Stokes Beginner’s Guide to Birds: Eastern Region
- The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
- Fifty Favorite Birds Coloring Book
- Fine Feathered Friends: All About Birds (A Cat in the Hat Book)
After you’ve read a few (or all) of the books above, complete one or more of the following hands-on activities:
- Let kids make a nest.
- Here’s another variation of a handmade bird’s nest.
- Here’s a hands-on activity that demonstrates how a bird’s beak is adapted for the food it eats.
- Make bird feeder treats to attract birds to your own backyard.
- Learn basic woodworking skills while building a simple birdhouse.
- Learn about the parts of a bird with these printable bird puzzles.
- One of my daughter’s favorite activities is to dissect owl pellets!
To round out your unit study, print out this 54-page pack of Backyard Birds Notebooking Pages. In this pack, you’ll find a set of 3-part cards featuring 12 common backyard birds. For each of the twelve birds, you’ll also find the following pages:
- Coloring page
- Characteristics page
- Write a sentence page
- Research page