If you feel lazy and have a complete lack of inspiration in the summer, this list is for you!
This summer is pretty special for me – starting in the fall, I will be focusing on college and scholarships as I begin my senior year in high school. In the busy-ness of life, I think it’s important to sit back and just have fun once in a while. Summer is also the perfect time to learn or try something new!
While looking for inspiration, I really tried not to include anything too cheesy, too boring, or too childish. I hope this list is refreshing and gives you a go-to so the words “I’m bored!” never cross your mind!
1. Learn Braille or Morse code. (Take one letter a day for a month.)
2. Take part in a local summer contest. WIN!
3. Learn a new sport.
4. Learn shorthand.
5. Watch a Disney film in a foreign language.
6. Play a board game.
7. Learn a new card game.
8. Go on a long bike ride or hike around the neighborhood.
9. Write a short story.
10. Have a scavenger-hunt or similar puzzle-mystery!
11. Make a crazy Pinterest dinner entirely from scratch.
12. Kids – read through the Newbery books. Adults – read from the classics or bestsellers!
13. Go to a small, local, free event.
14. Look up classic Disney songs (Beauty and the Beast, Colors of the Wind, etc.) in a foreign language – play “guess the song/movie/language!” We love doing this as a family!
15. Have a family coloring contest. (This book is incredible, and aimed at teens/adults.)
16. Go to garage sales!
17. Repurpose something. (On a smaller scale, a t-shirt bag or t-shirt quilt. On a larger scale, a piece of furniture.)
18. Make a pizza or smoothie, throwing in random ingredients!
19. Have a movie night. Pop popcorn on the stove, perhaps dress up! Here’s some character-building, quality films for kids, or go through the classics!
20. Learn to ballroom dance.
21. Have an obstacle course or relay race at a local playground.
22. Throw a themed party. (Downton Abbey, anyone?)
23. Clean out your closets. Donate to a local mission or have a garage sale.
24. Bake cookies for a neighbor.
25. Go to a museum, or some other local educational place you’ve never visited before.
26. Start your own small business!
27. Go to a concert by a local or small artist.
28. Go bowling/laser tag/golfing/etc.
29. Spend a day at your local fair. Bonus points if you make your own Bingo game.
30. Eat some crazy food at said local fair. Chocolate bacon or fried Gatorade are always fun options.
31. Start a blog.
32. Go around and do some random acts of kindness. (Help an older lady with groceries, pay for a stranger’s meal, etc.)
33. Create a scrapbook!
34. Turn up the music and dance in the sprinkler.
35. Have cheesy, epic backyard fun.
36. Bake something.
37. Clean up your social media. Delete anything that just needs deleted.
39. Have a water balloon war!
40. Take a free local class or workshop. Try something you’ve always wanted to try.
41. FINALLY make something off of Pinterest that you’ve been wanting to try! Get super creative and crafty. T-shirt quilt, Washi tape decor – you name it!
42. Create and edit a music video! (Perfect for you STEM fans!)
43. Create an entire meal from food only from your local farmer’s market.
44. Fly a kite!
45. Turn the youngest member of the family into a toilet paper mummy. (Or turn it into a family contest!)
46. Have a dramatic photo shoot. Bonus points if you use a fan. 🙂
47. With extended family or friends, play the Newlywed game – family/friend style! Pair parents/kids, siblings, etc. and ask questions like, “What is your partner’s favorite drink?” “Least favorite movie?” “Favorite movie character?”
49. Watch old family videos or go through old family scrapbooks.
50. Go to a drive-in theater.
52. Learn a Zumba routine, or invent your own!
53. Sleep in a tent. Or go camping.
54. Grow something. (A little herb works!)
55. Go to your local library or movie store and pick a random movie that you’ve never heard of before but that looks good.
56. Reconnect with an old friend.
57. Pick up a new skill. Crochet, piano, darts – the possibilities are endless!
58. Go nuts and get creative with sidewalk chalk!
60. Make a summer resolution, whether it be lose weight, avoid soda, not eat out, etc.
What do you plan to do this summer?
*Note: Affiliate links have been used.