I love Autumn. It is by far my most favorite season of the year. Since I am living on the West Coast of the U.S. right now, I miss the season of autumn. Crisp, cool air, beautifully changing leaves, cold football games, and yummy fall foods. I can’t change the fact that the leaves don’t change here, but I can definitely recreate the foods!
We spend all of the next few months baking soft pumpkin cookies and soft gingerbread cookies, eating yummy Butternut Squash ravioli, and melting fall-fragranced sprinkles in the candle warmer. And we eat a lot of soup! Nothing says autumn to me like a nice warm bowl of soup, with some toasty bread on the side.
Many years ago, my husband and I were active in a small local church and they hosted a chili cookoff. Now my husband is quite a good cook, and he wanted to bring something really good but different. So he pulled out a few cookbooks, tried a few recipes, combined a few recipes into one, and came up with this amazing Chicken Chili.
Now I know what you are thinking. “Chicken Chili is not chili.” I can almost hear you say that! No matter how many times my husband takes his Amazing Chicken Chili to a chili cookoff, he never wins. It’s not the quintessential chili recipe judges are looking for. But I will tell you a secret: Our pot is ALWAYS empty when we come home. Even if he triples the recipe! This stuff is good.
Amazing Chicken Chili Recipe with Printable
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-5 hours
- Total Time: 40 minute
- Yield: 12 people 1x
- 2 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- 3 LBS Boneless Chicken ((we usually use thighs, but any chicken meat works.))
- 2 Medium Onions
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Medium Yellow or Orange Bell Pepper
- 1 Zucchini, (or yellow squash)
- 2–3 Serrano Chilis (OPTIONAL (or Jalepenos))
- 1 28 Ounce Cans Crushed Tomatoes (with Sauce.)
- 1 8 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 2 6 Ounce Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Can Chicken Broth ((Have a couple extra cans to use as needed.))
- 3 TBSP Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Coarse Kosher Salt
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Chipotle Chili Powder (OPTIONAL)
- 1 Can Black Beans (OPTIONAL)
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese (Cheddar or Pepper Jack )
- Start by searing the chicken and 1 tablespoon of chili powder in 1 tablespoon of oil – either in a skillet or in the Instant Pot. After a few minutes, remove the chicken. Add another tablespoon of oil and add the vegetables in this order: (stirring between and give each new veggie a minute or two): onions, bell peppers, zucchini, and finally any hot peppers from the optional list. When all the veggies are ready – transfer to the crock pot (if you aren’t using an Instant Pot) and can add all the liquids and spices. Return the chicken to the pot. Add more liquid (chicken broth or water) as needed. The reason it might require more liquid is because the size of your vegetables can vary. Simmer on low in the slow cooker for four to five hours or more to blend favors. Add the can of beans about 20 minutes before serving to heat through.
Serve topped with cheese.