When I started out making this the first time for my kids, I burned the hazelnuts. At first they said it tasted like s’mores. Then came the aftertaste. Not good at all. I had to start over and greatly diminish the cooking time to roast the hazelnuts. All that to say – maybe buy pre-roasted hazelnuts or just do better than I did!
True confessions. I am presenting this recipe without sugar. However, at the end of the day my kids would not drink it with all the high end cacao powder and nibs until I added a smidgen of Hershey’s syrup. And by that I mean 1 Tablespoon to the whole recipe. So – I personally drank it with just Stevia sweetener but this might be one smoothie your kids will not drink without a little bit of real sugar. Just so you know.
We are just too used to chocolate being sweet in this country. I like dark chocolate and have been acclimating myself to the low sugar variety, so I liked it without the Hershey’s myself.
It’s even a a lot like ice cream. With real nutrition. And with the roasted hazelnuts, it also has just a hint of coffee flavor. Which is nice.
Chocolate Superfood Smoothie Recipe
- Yield: 5 Cups 1x
- 3 Cups Ice
- 1 Pear (Chopped)
- 5 Dates (Pitted)
- 1/4 Cup Hazelnuts (Roasted)
- 1 Cup Coconut Water
- 2 Tablespoons Cacao Nibs
- 1 Tablespoon Cacao Powder
- 5 Drops Liquid Stevia (Optional!!! )
- Add Ice, Hazelnuts and Dates to Blender.
- Add Pears, Cacao Nibs and Powder to Blender.
- Add liquids.
- Blend on Low and gradually increase the speed to highest setting. Continue until nuts are fully pureed. This smoothie needs to be icy for best results so if you have a powerful blender do not blend too long or it will melt. Add more ice as necessary.