I just have to admit right up front that getting creative in the kitchen on school time is not my cup of tea. I like to cook. I like to bake. I like to teach my kids how to cook and bake. I do not like to make messes in my kitchen to teach other subjects. I’m not saying it never happens, (Chemistry experiments happen in my kitchen all the time). I’m just saying I don’t like it!
So coming up with something to write about for this subject was a huge challenge, and in the end I decided to defer to others who are more in tune with this concept.
Here are some of the very best Creative Teaching in the Kitchen posts I have found. Honestly, after spending all of this time looking at things other people did with their kids in the kitchen, it motivates me to get a little messy. So in the words of Ms. Frizzle I leave you with this thought, “Take Chances. Make Mistakes. Get Messy.”
1. Sarah at My Joy-Filled Life. She comes up with a huge list of things you can teach in the kitchen from history and art to preschool skills. I love this list!
2. Edible art. I just love what the Artful Parent has come up with! In fact, I think we might actually be doing this tomorrow.
3. A group of Pinterest-savvy homeschool mommas have a gorgeous board full of Edible Homeschool Ideas. Wow, I could spend days just perusing this Pinterest board.
4. Our Journey Westward has a fascinating post using eggs to teach a chemistry concept.
5. Extracting DNA from strawberries? Really? Apparently The Homeschool Scientist knows something I do not. This could be really fun.
6. Spell Out Loud has the most fascinating lesson about blood I have ever seen!
7. Sugar Bee Crafts has this recipe for Silly Sludge and it looks like something my boys would be very happy about.
8. At iGame Mom you can find these 8 Experiments for Kids with Salt.
9. Buzzfeed has a fabulous list of 18 Science Experiments you can EAT that sound perfect for kitchen learning!
10. If you want to combine learning with learning to cook – Left Brain Craft Brain has a fabulous post on the Biology of Bread.