Yesterday, I opened a digital book of Medieval crafts on my computer. I knew immediately that this book was going to be a big hit with my twelve-year-old daughter, so I emailed it to her with a suggestion of where to start. She opened it up on her mobile device, scrolled through the book, and got started on her first craft.
A Celtic cross.
After completing her history assignment, she asked if she could keep using the book next year too. She loves crafts and history, but she also pointed out that having the book on her tablet means that she will never lose it! That’s just one of several benefits of using ebooks for curriculum.
The Benefits of Using Ebooks for Curriculum
- Ebooks stored in digital format on tablets, computers, iPods, and the cloud are not easily lost. No more excuses about not getting work done!
- Ebooks do not require shelving. I don’t know about you, but I have five floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, and they are all stuffed. Several of the kids have 6ft bookshelves in their bedrooms which are also stuffed full of books. And downstairs we have a small bookshelf stuffed to the gills with board books for little ones. We do not need any more books! And yet. We DO need more books. My kids are growing and learning, but there is no way I am getting rid of my picture book collection. So when we need to buy the big kids books, we love to get them in ebook format!
- Ebooks do not have to be lugged around. A simple tablet is so lightweight when it is carried in a backpack. Compare that to four or five novels or school books, and suddenly the ebook format is very attractive! This is also important if you move often and are charged by weight.
- Ebooks save your place! When you finish reading, you simply close the book and when you open it again in your e-reading app it will open at exactly the same spot you were previously reading.
- Ebooks often cost less money. Even if it is only a savings of a few dollars, that adds up when you are bibliophiles.
- Ebooks have a smaller carbon footprint! Think of all the trees that will not need to be cut down because we use ebooks instead.
- Ebooks can be read on different devices at the same time. No more waiting when you have two kids in the same book!
- Ebooks can sometimes read aloud to you – which is very important if you are learning to read or are a struggling reader with vision issues or dyslexia. It can help kids learn to read as they follow along!
- Ebooks with printable pages can (depending on the copyright) be printed over and over. No more running to the store or hitting up Amazon for a second (or third or fourth) copy.
- Ebooks can be read in bed at night without a flashlight. And they won’t disturb any roommates!
I actually love my physical books. I love the smell. I love the weight of them in my hand. I love the pictures. But over time, I’ve also come to love ebooks. Books in digital format have many benefits and really fill several needs in our family right now.
While we are talking about giveaways – I have a huge one to share with you! Encouraging Moms at Home (that’s me!) is giving away:
- Kindle Fire 7″ Tablet,
- a Finti case in the design of your choice, and
- a $25 gift card
Will you be the winner? Not unless you enter, that’s for sure! It’s a great way to get your feet wet with ebooks!
Terms: Enter the giveaway by filling out the form below. All entrants will be added to my mailing list and will receive an email when the winner is chosen. Please make sure to use an email address you will check in case you are the winner! You will be given the option to unsubscribe in that first email and in all future emails but we hope you will stick around because we treat subscribers well! Entrants must be 18 years old or older or have permission from parents and provide the name and address of a mother to whom the gifts will be sent. Entrants must reside in the United States. Winner must respond within 24 hours to claim prize.