Sleep does not come easily for me, and it seems like the muscles in my neck are in a constant state of angst. Massage helps, and in fact my husband recently got me a massage belt to use on my neck when he is traveling and can’t help me loosen up that tension.
At the end of a long day (or month) of hard work, a long soak in the tub can soothe muscles and joints, ease tensions, and help me relax so that sleep is possible when my mind wants to keep going long after my muscles and joints have given all they can.
When you have that kind of day, adding a few essential oils to your bath can help bring about the relaxation you crave. An essential oil bath is also an excellent way to carve out some me time in your busy day, once the kids are all tucked into bed. If instead you need to start your day on the right foot, you might try the essential oil shower. But for bedtime, nothing beats a nice bath.
The best and safest way to use essential oils in your bath is by combining them with bath salts and a carrier oil that will help protect the skin and allow the essential oils to disperse throughout the bath water. Remember, oil and water don’t mix well so improper usage of essential oils in your bath can cause skin irritation and burning. Here’s a quick recipe you can use to make easy, yet safe, essential oil bath salts ahead of time so that they are ready when you need them and the oils have had time to absorb into the salts for proper bathwater dispersion.
- 1 cup Epsom Salt
- ¼ cup Sea Salt or Himalayan Pink Salt
- 10-15 drops of Essential Oils
- 1 Tbsp any Carrier Oil (Almond or Jojoba are my personal favorites)
- ¼ cup Baking Soda (optional)
Here are five wonderful essential oil blends you can add to your bath salts to help relax your body at the end of a long day.
Paradise Essential Oil Bath Blend
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- 3 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil
- 2 drops Orange or Grapefruit essential oil
Blissed-Out Essential Oil Bath Blend: This blend costs a tad more so I tend to use it sparingly but it’s a powerful blend for recovering from a long stressful day.
- 6 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Jasmine essential oil
- 4 drops each of Thyme and Sandalwood essential oils
Pamper Me Essential Oil Bath Blend: This feminine blend is the perfect calming blend to support women who need to balance mood and emotions.
- 7 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Rose essential oil (can substitute with Rocky Mountain Oil’s Blend of Rose)
- 5 drops Geranium essential oil
Cleansing Water Essential Oil Bath Blend: Try this detox blend for removing toxins.
- 4 drops each of Orange and Ylang Ylang essential oils
- 2 drops Lemon essential oil
- 2 drops Lavender essential oil (optional)
- 1 drop Peppermint essential oil
Peaceful Dreams Essential Oil Bath Blend: Use this blend when you need a great night’s sleep.
- 4 drops each Vetiver and Clary Sage essential oils
- 2 drops Juniper Berry essential oil
Essential oil bath salts and blends are a marvelous way to enjoy the benefits of oils. You might also like our Peppermint Mandarin Foot Soak recipe!