Risotto is one of my all time favorite foods. I love the texture of this creamy, rich rice and I honestly have never met a risotto dish I did not like. When we made Purple Cabbage Risotto in the Instant Pot for the first time, it opened up a whole new world for making risotto quickly and easily! We used to make risotto in the microwave before our family outgrew that method, so replacing one easy method that no longer works with a new and equally easy method makes me very happy! Doesn’t that look amazing? So bright and colorful and yummy looking. And the good news is – its just as delicious as it looks! Butternut squash risotto is rich, decadent and flavorful risotto that can stand alone as a main dish or pair perfectly with grilled meat and fresh greens. Its an incredibly versatile dish that is just as comfortable at the Christmas dinner table as it is when eaten as a quick lunch on a busy Fall day. It works.
In order to use this recipe you will need access to butternut squash puree. You can find our Instant Pot Butternut Squash recipe here. It will take about 35 minutes to process a whole butternut squash into puree using this method before you can start your risotto so plan ahead.
The beautiful thing about risotto in the instant pot is that it is just so dang easy. Once you stir the risotto initially in some oil to get it pre-heated you literally just throw the lid on, set the machine and walk away. So easy. That’s what makes this butternut squash risotto a super accessible meal when you need an easy lunch or easy side dish.
Butternut Squash Risotto in the Instant Pot
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 7 Minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 10 People 1x
- 3 Tablespoons Butter,
- 1/2 Onion (Diced)
- 2 Cups Arborio Rice
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth (or Vegetable Broth)
- 2 Cups Butternut Squash Puree
- 1 Teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Plug the Instant Pot in and set it to sauté.
- Add the butter and let it melt.
- Add the diced onion.
- Stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the Arborio Rice and stir to coat, then stir frequently for 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, puree, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Make sure the sealing ring is properly seeded in the Instant Pot lid and place it on the IP.
- Close the venting knob.
- Switch the pot to “manual” or “pressure cook” (depending on your model) and cook for seven minutes on high pressure.
- Quick release and remove the pot from the heat source immediately to avoid drying out or over cooking the risotto.
- Serve hot.