I’ve blogged about Cool Whip Cookies several times. I enjoy trying out new combinations! My favorite so far are the Lemon Burst Cookies. However, I now have a new close second favorite. The end result tastes like a soft gingerbread cookie. Absolutely yummy.
For the Gingerbread Spice Cookies, I used a spice cake mix, 1 egg, and an 8 ounce container of Cool Whip. You do not need any of the ingredients called for on the box — just mix those three things with a mixer. Next, you need to roll your cookies in something. In the past, I’ve always rolled our Cool Whip cookies in powdered sugar.
For these cookies, I rolled mine in cinnamon and then rolled them again in a very coarse sugar I found from Wilton. To get soft cookies, bake until barely starting to turn on the edges. They will not look finished when you take them out, but unless you want crunchy cookies you need to take them out anyway. They set up beautifully once they sit a minute.
The result was amazing. A perfectly wonderful spicy cookie for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
You can use any cake mix and make Cool Whip cookies. You always need one cake mix, one egg, and 8 ounces of Cool Whip, plus something to roll them in. That’s it. So far we’ve tried Red Velvet which makes a gorgeous burgundy Christmas cookie, White with extract for flavoring, Chocolate, Lemon, Strawberry, and now Spice Cake mixes. I remember using an orange cake mix for my sister’s graduation party years ago and those were also delicious. I am not sure if anyone makes orange cake mixes anymore, but I cannot seem to find one.
The Gingerbread Spice Cookies are my favorite Cool Whip/cake mix cookies. I’ve thought about using a German Chocolate cake mix and rolling the dough balls in coconut. I’ll let you know how that turns out.
Can you think of any other creative and potentially yummy combinations?
Easy and Soft Gingerbread Spice Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 24 Cookies 1x
- 1 Mix Spice Cake ((I use Duncan Hines. Brand doesn’t matter.))
- 1 8 Ounces Whipped Cream ((by the 8 ounce container = no measuring))
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tbsp Cinammon
- 6 Tbsp Coarse Sugar Sprinkles
- Mix the first three ingredients with a hand mixer. It will be very gooey.
- Mix the Cinnamon and Coarse Sugar Sprinkles in a small bowl.
- Drop 1 1/2 Tbsp (approximate) of the dough into the Cinnamon/Sugar Mixture and roll.
- Bake 8 minutes at 350º or until just barely turning brown on the edges and not glistening in the center. Do not overcook. These will not look done, but set up nicely within about one minute and remain soft.