Finding Dory Recipes: Crush’s Turtle Shell Peppers
• 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
(1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice)
• 4 green bell peppers
• I (14 ounce) block firm tofu
• 2 tablespoons corn starch
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
• 8 small raisins
Peanut sauce Ingredients:
• 3 tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter
• I tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
• I tablespoon honey
• I tablespoon warm water
Added materials (for draining tofu):
• Hand towels (or paper towels)
• Plate or bowl
• Heavy object (such as a cast iron
skillet or books)
• Cook the rice according to package directions. Set aside.
• While the rice is cook ing, cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the stem, seeds and membranes . Set aside.
• In a small bowl, stir together the ingredients for the peanut sauce. Kids can do this part . Set aside. (Peanut sauce will keep for 3 days when covered in the refrigerator) .
• Next , prepare the tofu. It’s important to make sure the tofu is well-drained so that it will crisp up the frying plan. To drain , slice the tofu block in half lengthwise and fold towels around both halves. Then, place a plate or bowl over the tofu and top with something heavy, like a cast -iron skillet or books. Let stand for about 15 minutes, changing the towels if they get too wet . Once the tofu is thoroughly drained, slice into 1/2-inch cubes.
• Place cornstarch in a bowl, add dra ined tofu pieces and toss until lightly coated. To shake off excess cornstarch, gently sift tofu in a colander over the sink.
• Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the sesame oil. Saute the tofu until lightly browned and crispy on all sides. Reduce heat to low and add the cooked rice and peanut sauce to the skillet; gently toss together . Cover to keep warm .
• In the meantime, lightly steam the bell pepper halves in the microwave . Place the peppers in a baking dish and add about 1/4 cup of water. Cover the container with microwave-safe plastic wrap , and poke a few holes in the plastic wr ap with the tines of a fork to allow the steam to escape . Microwave the peppers on high until they reach the cr isp-tender stage, about 2 to 3 minutes. To make the stuffed pepper s into
Assemble Crush the turtle:
• Fill four bell pepper halves with the rice-tofu mixture to make Crush’s shell. Cut the other four bell pepper halves into long strips to make 4 heads and 16 turtle legs.
• On each of the four stuffed peppers, insert one bell pepper strip to make Crush ‘s head and insert four bell pepper strips to make Crush’s legs. Kids can help in this process.
• Add two raisins to each head to make Crush ‘s eyes; if the raisins don’t stay in place, use a pairing knife to make a small incision in the pepper then insert the raisins.
• Enjoy immediately while warm!
–>Download your free printable recipe for Crush’s Turtle Shell Peppers here. <–
This recipe and free printable is ©Disney-Pixar and was made available to bloggers as part of the Finding Dory press kit.
Leave a Reply