- Go on a bike ride. No need to worry about filling the car up with gas for this date! Just hop on your bikes and peddle to the nearest park or public bench or river bank or village. Biking together is fun, active, and romantic. Take a nice break at your destination for cozy conversation before you head home.
- Find a place with a view and share food. The simpler, the better. You can even enjoy a romantic picnic dinner on the roof of a parking garage. Seriously. Find out when the sun is setting, go to the very top of the garage, and face west to see the amazing view. Most of the cars will be gone for the day and you will have a romantic picnic or snack for two. Or maybe you know of a park bench where you can see the entire city or town at once. That’s perfect too!
- Go bargain-hunting. Do you appreciate all things unique? Share the world of bargain-hunting with your spouse and make it a date night challenge for who can search out the coolest find. Hit up the flea markets and thrift stores and maybe even the antique stores and have fun walking the aisles together looking for that treasure. Make a fun game out of it by finding the most unusual items in the store. When I was in college right after we married, there was a store in my town called Elegant Junque, and I loved dropping in that store after classes to see what treasures I could stir up. But I loved it even more when my husband came with me on the weekend to look at something I’d found.
- Game night, anyone? Who says you even have to go anywhere to have a date night? Wait till the kids are in bed, and break out the Yahtzee with romantic music in the background. Find fun new games like The Game by Pandasaurus Games or Dos (from the makers of Uno) or Five Crowns from the makers of SET, and enjoy learning these games together. Bonus: These games are also great for family game night once you’ve learned how to play.
- Hike in the great outdoors. The couples who exercise together, stay together. I may have just made that up…but, it does have some truth to it. Doing something with your better half that you both enjoy will prolong the adventures in your life together! Are there some great hiking trails in your area? Lace up those hiking boots and hit the trails! One of my favorite memories with my husband is hiking the Ka’ena trail together in Hawaii. We had to work together, encourage each other, and then – the ocean to enjoy. Now, you don’t have to fly to Hawaii to find a hiking trail! In the United States, we are so blessed to have a plethora of wonderful trails in every state.
- Build a bonfire and snuggle up. Who doesn’t love the ambiance of a nice warm fire? Have the ability to build a bonfire? Do it! You can let the kids enjoy the evening with you until bedtime – Roast some hot dogs, fire up those s’mores, and have family time. But once it’s time to send those littles to bed, you can snuggle up to the fire and each other and chat. Or whatever.
- Share an appetizer platter. Head to your favorite restaurant and share one of those appetizer combo platters. You can both eat for about the cost of fast food, but your meal will be a tad tastier, and the atmosphere much improved.
- Find a free concert. Especially in the spring and summer, many communities will have free concerts at the park each Friday, or maybe even in the neighborhood if you have an active civic club! You might have to drive to a nearby town, but it will be worth it. Bring a blanket, and enjoy music under the stars for free.
No matter what you choose to do for date night, just know that there are fun things to do that can fit any price point. Set a budget for the night, and then think of things to do that fit within that budget. Have fun with it! Finding fun and inexpensive ideas for date night is truly half the awesome adventure!