We work really hard in our home to introduce our kids to all kinds of flavors from all around the world and all different spice levels. That’s one reason why we have such a great variety of Instant Pot recipes from Pressure Cooker Mussels to this lovely Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry. When you want to get the flavors of a curry from your Instant Pot, here’s the recipe! And, this curry is made with coconut milk, which is a great traditional flavor profile for curry and just happens to make this recipe work for Whole30!
I remember the first time I had a curry dish. I was at a pot luck dinner with Ann Arbor Cantata Singers at a lake house, and one of the chorus members had traveled the world and taught himself quite a few culinary technics from other countries. The spice in that dish just about blew my mouth up. Since that time I’ve been increasing my own tolerance for spicy heat in food. That was before kids, and when we had kids we both agreed to do our best to encourage a well-rounded palate. So here we are.
Curry typically refers to dishes made in the sauce using a variety of spices in a blend called curry powder. Curries can take on all kinds of flavors but are traditionally more spicy than not. American curry powders tend to be a bit more bland, but if you want to kick this curry up a notch buy your curry powder from a local Asian market.
To start the Instant Pot Coconut Curry you want to get your Instant Pot good and hot. Set Instant Pot to Saute and when it says HOT add oil, chicken, and garlic; stirring until the chicken is browning.
Once your chicken is starting to brown, add the curry, chili powder, onion, basil, cardamom, and ginger paste and stir until well coated. Then hit cancel and stir in the coconut milk.
Lock lid and set vent to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to manual high pressure (or pressure cook in newer models) for 5 minutes. When Instant Pot beeps, release pressure and remove lid.
To thicken the sauce, remove ¼ cup liquid and mix in tapioca starch. Set Instant Pot back to Saute and when it comes to a boil, pour in starch mixture. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
Serve your Instant Pot Coconut Curry Chicken over cauliflower rice and top with cilantro.
Instant Pot Coconut Curry Chicken – Whole30
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp dry basil
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Set Instant Pot to Saute and when it says HOT add oil, chicken, and garlic; stir until chicken is browning.
- Add curry, chili powder, onion, basil, cardamom, and ginger paste and stir until well coated.
- Hit cancel and stir in coconut milk.
- Lock lid and set vent to sealing.
- Set Instant Pot to manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When Instant Pot beeps, release pressure and remove lid.
- Remove ¼ cup liquid and mix in tapioca starch.
- Set Instant Pot back to Saute and when it comes to a boil, pour in starch mixture.
- Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and top with cilantro.