Essential oil room sprays are easy to make and you only need a few supplies. Once you’ve mixed up a room spray, you can put it in a handy spray bottle and it becomes your own portable happy place.
Whether you are using your room spray to freshen up a space, lift your mood, or combat germiness, we’ve got a blend recipe below that will be perfect for you! These blends also work in the diffuser, but we’ve got a great list of winter diffuser blend recipes you might like better for that purpose.
Materials you will need to make your Essential Oil Room Spray Blends
- 4-oz spray bottle — A spray bottle is one of my favorite ways to enjoy essential oils. They’re easy to prepare ahead of time, and offer portability and convenience. I can use as little or as much as I like depending on the moment. I used these 8-ounce bottles because that’s what I had on hand. You can also make them in these little 2-ounce bottles for your purse to have on the go in those “smelly” situations. I have some of those made up too.
- 1 Tbsp witch hazel — This is important because it helps the oil and water to mix and the spray to dry quickly.
- Up to 40 drops of essential oils using one of the blend recipes below.
- Filtered or distilled water
Directions to make your essential oil room spray blends.
Add the tablespoon of witch hazel to your 4-ounce bottle. Using a dropper, add in the essential oils you are using next. (You could even just add 30 drops of the Immune Strength Blend from Rocky Mountain Oils to make a nice room spray without having to blend oils yourself.) Shake well then top off with filtered or distilled water. Shake contents again and you’re ready to start spritzing the air.
If you need to clean and disinfect more than you need an air freshener, consider getting the AVA Shield Hard Surface Cleaner from Rocky Mountain Oils instead. Everything in the Ava Shield line contains the oils of the Immune Strength Blend.
Now that you know how to make them, you can enjoy your time at home more with these essential oil room spray blends; they’ve arrived just in time for the cold winter season.
We made labels for your essential oil room spray bottles! You can print these labels on Avery 22804 – oval labels or if you prefer you can print to Avery full-sheet labels and cut into rectangles. When printing, make sure you choose the printing option “actual size” in order for the labels to line up correctly.
Use your new essential oil room spray blends for any of the following tasks:
- cover musty smells, pet odors, or the smell of shrimp you made at lunch. (Side note: I made shrimp and grits for myself for lunch in the Instant Pot and ate at 2:30. My husband called at three to tell me he left early and was almost home. This did NOT give me very much time to banish the shrimp smell he hates so much. Just saying.)
- disinfect toys and hard surfaces when you’ve got colds going around
- lightly spritz airplane seats and arm rests
- wipe off grocery cart handles
- freshen up the bathroom
- freshen up the teen boys room (oh my word. Could it get any smellier than this? I can’t even hardly go in there, and sometimes I precede my own self with room spray just to be able to endure it.)
- spritz stinky shoes
- freshen up couch pillows
Count Your Blessings Blend
This particular blend combines essential oil favorites that remind me of what it feels like to come home for the holidays. This blend is everything that the holiday season represents, wrapped up in a nice little bottle.
- 10 drops each of Orange, Nutmeg and Cedarwood essential oils
- 4 drops Clove Bud essential oil
- 3 drops Cinnamon Bark essential oil
- Vanilla (optional)
This relaxing blend will help you shake off the cold and settle in for the night. When sprayed in the air it will instill peace and harmony so you can unwind and get a great night’s sleep.
- 15 drops Lavender essential oil
- 8 drops each of Clary Sage and Vetiver essential oils
- 6 drops Lemon essential oil
This blend captures the essence of a winter wonderland. Reminding me of falling snow, icicles, and snowcapped mountains, this cool blend deodorizes, purifies, and freshens your entire home. It’s a great choice for getting rid of stuffiness when you have cold temperatures outside.
- 5 drops each of Eucalyptus Radiata and Orange essential oils
- 3 drops each of Lavender and Peppermint essential oils
- 2 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 1 drop each of Cinnamon Bark and Wintergreen essential oil
Winter Bliss Blend
Banish those winter blues with this uplifting blend that can help elevate mood and encourage a cheerful spirit.
- 4 drops Grapefruit essential oil
- 3 drops Patchouli essential oil
- 3 drops Rocky Mountain Oils Blend of Neroli (love this stuff!)
- 2 drops each of Lavender, Clary Sage, and Geranium essential oils
Boost your immunity and protect your family during the changing of the seasons with this supportive blend. No one has time to fall under the weather; this immune boosting blend will go to work protecting you from all the elements and contagions that linger during the cold winter season.
- 10 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 7 drops Rocky Mountain Oils Breathe Ease Blend
- 6 drops Clove Bud essential oil
- 5 drops Lime essential oil (more if desired)