One of my struggles with eating on a plan is having the time to find new recipes or adjust old ones to fit the parameters. Whole 30 can be especially difficult to keep up with because of how strict it is on ingredients. Making everything from scratch is really what works best for Whole 30, and who has time for that in the midst of our crazy busy lives? Well, you do! Because this recipe is for Whole 30 French Onion Chicken for the Instant Pot.
It’s the simple recipes that can be tossed in the Instant Pot, like this French Onion Chicken, that make Whole 30 possible for busy moms like us. I’ll be honest, there are times that I let myself get so hungry that I want to eat anything in sight. If I can whip up a filling and delicious meal in 15 minutes or less, I have a much easier time resisting the urge to dig my hand into my kids’ gold fish crackers or the M&M stash.
This recipe is just what I need to save me from becoming “hangry.” It makes a great dinner, but it’s quick and simple enough to make the perfect lunch. All the ingredients are things you’ll have on hand if you’re already doing Whole 30. Onion and garlic soaked in ghee? Yes please. It’s delicious, nutritious, and Whole 30 approved! Does it get any better than that? Here’s your next go-to meal!
To get started, season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spray the Instant Pot liner with oil and saute the chicken on each side until browned.
Remove the chicken and add half of the sliced onions to the liner. Add the chicken breasts on top of the onions, and then top the chicken with the remaining onions.
Mix together the remaining ingredients (except the almond flour), creating a scrumptious sauce, and pour that sauce over the onions and chicken.
Using the manual setting on your Instant Pot, you’ll cook it all on high pressure for 5 minutes. Once it beeps, let the chicken sit for 5 minutes while it naturally releases pressure. Finally, release the vent completely.
Remove the onions and chicken and place them on a platter. Set the Instant Pot to Saute and add a bit of the almond flour to thicken up the sauce. Be sure to whisk the sauce continuously to avoid any clumping. Spoon the thickened sauce atop your onions and chicken and enjoy!Print
Whole 30 French Onion Chicken for the Instant Pot
- Yield: Serves 3
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 lbs onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ghee, melted
- 1 tsp coconut aminos or coconut vinegar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- Almond flour
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Spray Instant Pot liner with spray oil and saute chicken on each side until browned, set aside.
- Add half the onions to the liner, add chicken breast on top, and the other half of the onions on top of the chicken.
- Mix together broth, garlic, ghee, coconut aminos(or vinegar), balsamic vinegar and thyme.
- Pour sauce over onions and chicken.
- Set Instant Pot to manual, high pressure, for 5 minutes.
- When Instant Pot beeps, let the chicken sit for 5 minutes while it naturally releases pressure.
- Once 5 minutes is up, release the vent completely.
- Remove onions and chicken breast to a platter.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute and add a bit of almond flour to sauce to thicken. Make sure to whisk continuously to avoid clumping.
- Spoon thickened sauce over chicken breast and serve.
Deanna Jolly Frazee says
This looks good. I am going to try this soon. We love chicken and onions in our house.