You might be surprised to know I am throwing out my essential oils. I’ve been using some of the best essential oil brands faithfully for six months or so.
- I rub peppermint oil on an existing wart daily.
- Peppermint goes in my diffuser necklace any time I have a headache.
- I drip little drops of essential oil on the pillows of my boys to help them sleep.
- We even have an essential oil shower routine for when they are angry.
And in spite of the fact that I don’t have any documentation, I firmly believe they are working for my chosen usage. So why in the world would I be throwing out my essential oils?
I’m glad you asked why I’m throwing out some of the best essential oil brands available. Let me just tell you.
Since the very first time I got an essential oil (Lavender was my first) I have wondered why it had this odd edge to the fragrance that kept it from being entirely pleasant to the smell. My lavender essential oil does not smell good! I’m not saying it didn’t help me sleep – but I certainly wasn’t enjoying the fragrance in the process. Peppermint was the next oil added to my tiny collection. The smell of peppermint I loved.
After this, I added a few more single oils — lemon, tea tree, and Eucalyptus. I didn’t notice any odd edge to these smells. So I purchased two or three additional lavender oils in various brands (I really struggle with sleep) and guess what? They were all to off-putting and unpleasant because of that funk on the edge of the fragrance.
That “funky smell” in my essential oils.
Finally, I started purchasing a few blends. I wanted to try the Relax and Tranquility blends for my boys to see if it helped them sleep at night. The reaction I got from them was fascinating. Not one of them enjoyed the smells of the blends I had purchased. Nor were they willing to have a drop of those oils on their pillow at night. Oh no! They wanted Sweet Orange or Lemon or Peppermint. And unfortunately, those oils are not exactly known for helping someone sleep. As I began to try the blends myself, I noticed that these blends all had a slight “off” edge to the fragrance as well.
Now, this was all very interesting, but because I have refused to “sign up” for an MLM essential oil company, I only had experience with a few of the best essential oil brands I was able to purchase in stores or directly from the manufacturer. I wanted (and still want) to purchase my essential oils direct. Personally, I don’t want to pay the higher price for multi-level marketing in which multiple people make a percentage from each sale. Did you know that on MLM purchases often up to four people profit from a sale in addition to company profit?
I figured that this funky smell (almost like an “after smell”) was just something everybody lived with in order to get the benefits of essential oils in their home. Turns out it is at least in part the difference between Lavender Bulgaria and Lavender Hungary and the more recent addition – Lavender Greece. I definitely prefer the Lavender from Hungary over the Bulgaria version. But the Lavender Greece is my hands down fav. I cannot get over the difference – this lavender is amazing!
If you would like to see a direct comparison between Rocky Moutain Oils Blends and your favorite MLM blends
The Essential Oils I Actually Love
Over the course of a few days, I was also able to try several blends from Rocky Mountain Essential Oils as well. So far, I have used Immune Strength, Deep Breathe, Purify, and Pain Ease. I love them all! Somehow words cannot express to you how different these blends are in how they smell. You are going to have to experience this for yourself. I can *finally* understand why someone would want to diffuse oils in their home!
This made me start asking questions about how Rocky Mountain Essential Oils are made, and what kind of purity I can expect from the company. Obviously, to me, something makes these oils different. Did you know Rocky Mountain Oils is the first essential oil direct ship company to include batch numbers on their oils and provide full GC/MS data for each batch? That means when you purchase an oil, you can know the exact chemical makeup of the exact batch from which you purchased. All you have to do is go to their website, click on the GC/MS tab, and enter the batch number. That’s pretty huge!
After acquiring five Rocky Mountain Essential Oils for myself and comparing those to what I had in my cabinet, I’ve made a decision. All those other essential oils blends in my case are going in the trash. Why keep oils that kinda stink, and that my family won’t use? Do I really need to keep oils whose ingredients I cannot even identify with any certainty? Why keep oils that don’t work for what we need? And even those that were working – if the quality of the blends is not as amazing – what does that say about the quality of the single essential oils? It took me a while to make up my mind, but going forward my family will be using Rocky Mountain Essential Oils exclusively.
Let me tell you a few other reasons I want to stick with Rocky Mountain Oils as a company.
- FREE SHIPPING. This is huge. No order size requirements, just completely free shipping.
- Single oil purchases allowed. No kit requirements, no membership requirements, no long-term high-cost purchase agreements. If I need a bottle of peppermint, and that’s all I need – that’s all I have to order.
- Because RMO uses top quality cold-pressed or steam distilled oils, no fragrance stabilizers, and no extra funk. Several of the RMO oils now come in a USDA certified organic option too!
- A commitment to customer education. If you have questions and you call Rocky Mountain Oils, they can help you figure out exactly which oils you need to get. That means they are not just out to take your money! You can also find tons of DIY ideas and even more ideas of different ways to use the oils on the Rocky Mountain Oils blog.
- Transparency. There was some frustration with Native American Nutritionals before the two companies merged. But, Rocky Mountain Oils has been serving the essential oil community with integrity for a long time now. That was why they introduced GS/MC data. Because with it, you know exactly what you are paying for. This is independent third-party testing, something that Young Living has refused to do to this date.
- Price point. In general, the price point for oils from RMO is lower than the price point for equal or similar MLM brand oils. Now – make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Same size, same plant source, and same dilution if there is any. Also, make sure you are comparing the full price of the MLM oil. Make sure you do not compare the price after your discount unless you also factor in the *cost* of that discount.
- If you would like to see a direct comparison between Rocky Moutain Oils Blends and your favorite MLM blends – check out this chart.<–
- Does the idea of an Essential Oils Starter Kit excite you, but you don’t want one from an MLM company? – this post details how to build an essential oil starter kit from scratch using Rocky Mountain Oils and free shipping.
- If you are concerned about Essential Oil Safety for your family <– this post will help you sort it all out.
- Or maybe you just want to find some new blends for your diffuser and get your oil on — try Winter Essential Oil Diffuser Blend Recipes <– this post is just what you need.