Have you ever noticed that chicken legs are super cheap? Compared to other packages of chicken, chicken legs can be purchased for pennies apiece. This makes chicken legs an economical meal solution even for large families. Chicken legs are also a cheap, easy protein snack for growing kids!
To make our Instant Pot Apple Maple Chicken Legs, you will first saute the chicken legs in the Instant Pot to get that nice browning on the skins. Then you will add the sauce and cook on high pressure for just a few minutes to get the meat cooked all the way through and oh-so-tender. You can even use frozen chicken legs for this recipe! Serve over rice or mashed potatoes. If you have two Instant Pots (everyone should have two Instant Pots!) you can pair this with our delicious homemade Instant Pot Applesauce.
I never dreamed I’d be making bone-in chicken with the skin on directly in the Instant Pot, but it turns out this machine can do the trick! Actually, the Instant Pot can do a lot of cool tricks, and for that our family table is forever grateful.
Instant Pot Apple Maple Chicken Legs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon mustard (can use 1 teaspoon mustard powder plus 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste, ketchup or BBQ sauce
- 6 chicken legs
- Place olive oil in IP and select the saute setting.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken legs and brown on each side, about 1 minute per side.
- Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat and whisk together. Cook for 2 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Pour the homemade apple maple sauce over the chicken legs and turn off the saute setting.
- Secure the IP lid and select “meat/stew” for 5 minutes.
- Natural release and serve hot.
- (If using frozen chicken legs, skip the sautee step and increase cooking by 5 minutes.)
Leave a Reply