Who here wants to cook up a pile of mussels in a delicious sauce to share with some friends – but wants it to be quick and easy? Mussels are actually pretty inexpensive and make a great party food. In the Instant Pot, or any pressure cooker, mussels cook and are ready to go in no time.
So, you do still have to remove the beards for this recipe. It’s not a magic wand to remove all the work. But the resulting flavors of this Instant Pot Mussels dish are ah-mazing. Pressure cooking intensifies flavors like nothing else.
Besides being a decadent treat, pressure cooker mussels are also extremely good for you — full of vitamins, minerals, folic acid, and long chain fatty acids. All things your body needs. Farm-raised mussels will not be naturally salty, though sea-caught mussels may be. Whether you buy farm-raised or sea-caught doesn’t matter though, you will love the end result with this recipe.
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Mussels Recipe
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 15
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 apple, chopped
- 6–10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine, optional
- 2lbs mussels, cleaned
- 1 cup heavy cream, optional
- Parsley, optional for serving
- Clean and remove beards from mussels.
- Discard any mussels that do not close when tapped against a hard surface or have cracks in them.
- Place chopped bacon in Instant Pot, select Saute setting.
- Allow the bacon to cook fully, releasing the grease into the IP. This will serve as the cooking fat for the vegetables.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, and apple and saute for 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Turn off the saute setting and carefully add the mussels to the Instant Pot.
- Select “Manual” for 6 minutes. Natural or quick release.
- Optional: Stir in the heavy cream and select the Saute setting. Cook until the cream starts to boil, then turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley.