About ten years ago (long before the invention of the Instant Pot), I discovered the health benefits of purple cabbage at about the same time my husband discovered a recipe he liked for sweet southern cole slaw. We combined these two pieces of information into what has become our family’s favorite cole slaw recipe and started looking for other uses for purple cabbage in our family menu plan. I even started adding it to our smoothies raw! (As long as I put a lid on the smoothie cup to mask the odor, the kids did not notice.)
It was probably at about the same time that he spent three weeks on an extended business trip and decided to eat most of his meals in his room to save money. He bought the Microwave Gourmet cookbook and a ceramic bowl and started making the recipes in the book for his dinner each night. When he came home – he had lots of new favorites that we could use for quick week night meals. One of those favorites was cabbage risotto.
Of course, fast forward a few years and we added enough full-size eaters that microwave quantities just didn’t cut it. We had to make two to three recipes of risotto to feed our family as a side dish! We haven’t had risotto for a few years since that time, because I just couldn’t bring myself to go back to cooking it on the stovetop after the ease of cooking it in the microwave following Barbara Kafka’s well-thought and easy instructions.
And then came the Instant Pot.
When I first realized that the Instant Pot could cook risotto, I knew exactly which recipe I wanted to try. I had to make a few adaptations — the Instant Pot works a little differently than the microwave. But the end recipe is just as palate pleasing and beautiful as the original inspiration! Plus, risotto in the Instant Pot is so fabulous because once you stir in the rice and cabbage, you can simply walk away! No standing there stirring it forever. Purple Cabbage Risotto in the Instant Pot was born.
The purple cabbage creates a beautiful purple dish that little girls love to eat because it seems like that is always their favorite color! Of course, little boys love it too – at least my kids sure do. Its one of those dishes that is packed with all the nutrients of the purple cabbage and all the delicious taste of parmesan and risotto. The flavor is so good.
Purple Cabbage Risotto in the Instant Pot
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 9 Minutes
- Total Time: 19 minutes
- Yield: 10-12 People
- 3 Tablespoons Butter,
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Onion (Minced)
- 2 Cups Arborio Rice
- 3 3/4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Purple Cabbage (Shredded (you can use green if you prefer))
- 1 Tablespoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper (To taste. )
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan
- Add both fats to the bottom of the Instant Pot and turn on the sauté button.
- When the butter is melted, add the minced onion and stir until it softens.
- Add the arborio rice and stir for three to four minutes until a few kernels of the rice start to brown.
- Add the liquid, the cabbage, the salt and stir to combine.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 7 minutes.
- When the pot has finished pressure cooking, do a quick release of the steam by turning the knob immediately.
- Stir the risotto and add the parmesan and cracked black pepper.
- Remove from the pot immediately because risotto gets gross if it keeps cooking. Serve hot.