We have an extra sweet Valentine’s Day treat for you! It’s these adorable Valentine’s Day magnets, and they are so easy your kids can make them in a snap!
This is one of those fun arts and crafts for Valentine’s Day your kids will talk about for years. Make sure you keep one as a memento! These shimmery and sparkly Valentine’s Day magnets make the perfect teacher gift, mom gift, grandma gift, Valentine card (add a shiny lollipop to the back with tape!), and they are also super sweet on your fridge! You might also like our huge list of free Valentine’s Day Printables!
One thing to note: You are going to need some bubble wrap so that your kids can make this heart craft. So start watching for bubble wrap in your packages and save the pieces! Bubble wrap is fun to paint with, and adds a unique textured look to our Valentine’s Day Magnets.
Now, I know you are seeing that there is some glitter involved, but don’t be scared! Just use a cheap paper plate under your hearts when you add the glitter, and throw the plate away when you are done! That will keep most of the glitter mess from our heart craft contained. Glitter also cleans up pretty good with a wet washcloth!
Here are the supplies you are going to need to make awesome Valentine’s Day Magnets:
- Bubble Wrap
- Small Craft Magnet Squares
The first part of the instructions might be confusing, so I wanted to clarify that here. You will need TWO copies of the template to make your first magnet. The first copy of the template, you will cut OFF the scallops and just use the inside of the heart. This one can be used over and over. The second copy of the template is cut out and attached as is, with the scallops. So you will need one per magnet for that, plus the initial inside heart template. This photo shows the first heart template, with the scallops cut off.
You will use the first template, without scallops, to trace on the back of your cardboard – but not until after you have painted the cardboard and let it dry. If your child has never done bubble wrap painting before, that step might be surprising as well. Paint is applied directly to the bubble wrap. You can choose your colors. We chose red, white, and pink for Valentine’s Day.
After applying paint to the bubble wrap, the bubble wrap is then dabbed onto the cardboard to preserve the resulting round bubble dots. You can even lay the sheet of bubble wrap paint side down onto the cardboard and carefully press down if that works best for your child. Combine multiple colors of paint on each heart for a cool, textured effect. Your Valentine’s Day Magnet will look amazing with the bubble wrap paint, sequins, glitter, and rhinestones added!
When all of those steps are complete, you print your second copy of the template on white paper, and cut it out. This is glued to the back of the cardboard. Add a magnet to the back, and your kid-made Valentine’s Day Magnet is complete! Click on the print button below to print out the steps!
You will also need to download the heart template. You can do that here.Print
Valentine’s Day Magnets: A Heart Craft Kids Can Make
- Bubble Wrap
- Small Magnet Squares
- Download the template (2x for each heart).
- Print the template out.
- From the first copy of the template, cut the center heart out (without the scallops) and set aside.
- Cut out squares of bubble wrap.
- Paint the bubble wrap with red, white, and pink paint and dab the bubble wrap onto cardboard or paper.
- Repeat this step until the cardboard is covered in paint.
- Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Turn the cardboard over and trace the heart template you’ve made onto the cardboard.
- Cut the heart shape out. Use a paintbrush to add glue onto the front of the heart.
- Shake on glitter, sequins, and add a few rhinestones. You can really add any element you want to this– pom poms, buttons, etc.
- Allow the glue to dry completely.
- From the second template you printed, cut out the full heart, this time including the scalloped edges.
- Glue the cardboard heart onto the scalloped heart.
- If desired, glue a small craft magnet to the back. You can use this heart craft any way you want; you don’t technically have to make it a Valentine’s Day Magnet gift!
- Add a lovely message and your craft is complete.
- This would make a wonderful classroom take-home gift!
- Try using different color paint and shades of paper to make this craft even more unique.